- Learn proper clamping technique, jamming technique, and drills to gain more possessions off the draw
- Discover the four basic mechanics of executing the clamp that will make your FOGO a powerful force
- Learn drills that will enhance your FOGO's ability to pop the ball forward and control the possession
- Get 10 face-off drills, including warm-up drills, for perfecting technique
with Will Scudder, Lehigh University Assistant Coach/Face-Off Coordinator;
as a player at Lehigh he won 54 percent of his face-offs
introduction by Kevin Cassese, Lehigh University Head Coach
The better you are at face offs, the more possessions your team will control. Concentrating on two classic face-off techniques, Lehigh Assistant Coach Will Scudder presents each exercise efficiently and progressively from its most basic components though the completion of winning the ground ball created by the face-off win.
With a clear, step-by-step explanation of each movement, Coach Scudder presents a mechanically well developed, consistent training plan that will challenge advanced players while instructing and building confidence in less experienced athletes.
Utilizing a low stance and sinking your hips for leverage, Coach Scudder emphasizes the most important rule concerning the positioning of your top rail for winning the clamp. To support this movement, the mechanics are carefully explained while they are performed first slowly then more quickly with each successful repetition. Successful completion of this technique is apparent when superior leverage beginning with first contact is demonstrated. This includes proper body positioning, hand and feet position so as not to create a rule violation.
The Jam and Re-Jam
The initial move over the ball is crucial to be able to win a face off with a jam. Leading to that first move is the discipline necessary to consistently maintain a low and explosive position in an effort to catch your opponent off guard. Remaining vigilant against your opponent may allow you to re-jam your opponent in an effort to keep him guessing at what you will do.
Face Off Drills
Coach Scudder shares several drills to reinforce face-off mechanics and improve wing play, including:
- Whistle Timing Drill - Helps player get comfortable at spending longer time in their ready stance.
- Ball Bucket Pops - Building the skill of popping the ball forward. Perform an individual face-off, pick up ground ball and place ball into bucket.
- Smasher Pad Ground Balls - Perform an individual face-off, pick up ground ball and then coach pressures you with a blocking pad.
This presentation also includes a drill for training wing players to box out and pick up ground balls off the face off.
This is a great video to begin to build any face-off man at any level and preaches the most important parts of the face-off-consistency.
50 minutes. 2015.