- See over 50 drills to build a championship glide shot putter
- Maximize your athletes' balance for a more powerful throw
- Includes a coaching breakdown of an athlete's throw--correcting errors as they happen
with Juan De La Garza,
Texas A&M Assistant Track Coach
2017 NCAA Men's Indoor National Champions;
2013 NCAA Men's Outdoor National Champions;
Back-to-Back-to-Back Men's & Women's NCAA Champions (2011, 2010, 2009);
coach of 2004 NCAA Champion Katy Doyle along with 13 other All-Americans while in his tenure at A&M; All- American javelin thrower for Texas A & M in 1983 and 1984.
Get the drills you need to help your glide shot putter become a successful thrower. Juan De La Garza demonstrates over 50 drills and elastic strength exercises with the shot put that will teach young athletes the basic elements needed for this technical event.
Coach DeLaGarza begins the presentation from the novice level. He explains how to stand in the ring and how to hold the shot put. From there, De La Garza moves to simple progression drills to develop a glide shot putter.
The teaching progressions/drills featured in this DVD include:
- Glide drills for turning and separating the lower and upper body while turning the foot continuously
- Drills for arm and foot separation
- Line turning drills
- Press drills
- Kneeling drills for the front of the ring while pressing
- Standing drills for the front of the ring while pressing
- Full press drills in the ring
- Full throw preparation drills
- Variations of glide drills from the back of ring
- Full glide preparation
- Drills for full body elasticity
Also included is a 12 drill, multi-throw circuit. In this section, De La Garza uses the shot to build speed, strength and elasticity. Each drill focuses on a specific muscle and is used to develop a complete thrower.
This video is tailored for the novice high school athlete and coach who is interested in getting the most out of the glide shot put technique.
55 minutes. 2012.Track & Field Videos