Learn on-court and off-court strategies for building a successful basketball culture
- Develop a transition offense capable of scoring points and wearing out your opponent
- Learn how to play at a fast pace without compromising your defensive philosophy
- Learn how to build the right culture in your program and develop accountability amongst your players
with Tad Boyle,
University of Colorado Head Coach;
First Colorado University Head Coach to lead the men's basketball team to four straight 20+ win seasons.
In this two-part presentation, Tad Boyle demonstrates how he has developed his offensive philosophy to help rebuild Colorado into an up-tempo team that can compete with any team in the country. He gives you the keys to running an effective fast-pace style of offense. You'll learn ways to get open 3-point shots and layups that will leave your opponents in the dust.
Additionally, Coach Boyle outlines the core values that define his program. These values not only translate on the basketball court, but will also transfer over into your players' careers after basketball.
Transition Offensive Grills
On offense, players want to score. They want to play fast and they want to dominate. Coach Boyle understands these concepts and has installed an up-tempo style of play, taking advantage of the high altitude that Colorado plays at. Drills are designed to make players run the floor and make quick decisions, reward ball movement and force players to pass the ball and not attempt to dribble through the defense. These drills show how you can focus on offensive drills, but also make sure defense is being worked on as well.
With Coach Boyle's instruction, you will get multiple players moving and active in a fast break situation. A few of the concepts Coach Boyle teaches you include:
- A Continuous Fast break drill to work on 2-on-1, 3-on-2, 4-on-3, 5-on-4 and 5-on-5 situations
- The "Spread" Offense that will teach players where to go on the court in transition in different situations
- What good shots and bad shots look like within your transition offense system
Transition Offense Games
Reinforce to your players how to play fast while still utilizing a good offensive shot selection with three games from Coach Boyle's practice arsenal. He explains his philosophy on always taking layups in transition, as well how to get the ball reversed in a half court offense in under 10 seconds.
- The "12 second game" forces your players to get the ball up the court fast and forces them to shoot a layup or get the ball into the paint
- The "10 second game" teaches your players how to swing the ball to have increased ball movement on offense
- Learn the "Nugget drill" taken from Sacramento Kings coach George Karl, which teaches your players to shoot open 3-point shots or layups in transition.
Developing Core Values
Creating and developing your program's culture is the foundation for any successful program. You'll learn the importance of defining your team's "culture" on and off the court. Coach Boyle provides his team's core values of trust, character and work ethic and how he gets his team to buy into those key core values. He uses examples at the end of every practice so his players understand how they fit into the program and how they can demonstrate core values both on and off the court.
A successful program is not only determined on the basketball court, but also by the values used to make players successful off the court as well. This video from Coach Boyle will give you a great look at transition offense and team culture.
Produced at the 2015 Spring Pittsburgh clinic.
67 minutes. 2016.