- Take your opponent out of their offense
- Improve player communication and team trust
- Improve ball pressure and team defense
with Joe Mihalich, Hofstra University Head Coach;
former Niagara University Head Coach;
2x MAAC Coach of the Year,
2007 BCANY Coach of the Year,
Played under Paul Westhead, coached under Morgan Wootten
Learn the keys to the switching man defense with coach Joe Mihalich. During his first year using this defense, his team forced 18 turnovers per game, were 5th in the country in steals and held opponents' field goal percentage to 39%.
Coach Mihalich starts out with his keys to the defense: switching with a purpose and communication. He introduces five 2-on-2 drills that break down the mechanics of switching on block-to-block screens, down screens, fade screens, ball screens and dribble drive action.
Mihalich then explains two 4-on-4 drills that emphasize communication and player trust.
Close Out Drill
- Teaches position and vision
- Don't let your man do what he wants
- Sprint to help position
- Move on the pass
Florida Scramble Drill
- Five offensive players vs four defenders
- One defender is covering two players
- Get players in the habit of guarding different players
- Emphasizes position, vision and anticipation
Finally, Mihalich explains how to defend screens set by the 5-man and how to trap the post.
With this DVD you can have the best communicating team, confuse your opponent and force turnovers.
68 minutes. 2011.Basketball Videos