A unique look to coaching that helps create an efficient, productive defense!
- Hear Coach Didier explain the areas in the defense's alignment that the offense is most likely to attack
- Discover complimentary coverages to Cover 4
- Learn the USF 3-4 package and situational blitzes
with Joey Didier,
University of St. Francis Co-Defensive Coordinator / Defensive Backs Coach;
2016 NAIA National Champions, 3x NAIA National Runner-Up (2004-06)
Learn how one of the most successful programs in NAIA develops situational defensive packages!
Joey Didier explains his defensive philosophy, the process used to create a more efficient defense, and the steps that he and his staff go through when planning for game-specific situations. This includes how to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your base defense and how to compensate for the weaknesses in certain situations. You'll learn from Coach Didier:
- The basic strengths and weaknesses of the USF 4-2-5 cover 4 defense.
- How they evaluate their defensive scheme at the end of each season from an offensive perspective.
- How they construct complements to their base defense that allow them to combat specific weaknesses in their base scheme.
- How they identify the best players to maximize the defensive personnel.
Complementary Coverages to Cover 4
A significant portion of this presentation is devoted to complementary coverages to the USF Cover 4 defense. Learn the USF Cover 6, which is the perfect every-down complement to Cover 4. Learn how to adjust the Cover 6 coverage to account for 3x1 sets and empty sets. Learn how USF plays the "Tampa 2" Cover 2 defense as a complement to their base Cover 4 and Cover 6 defensive coverages. Learn a simple "simulated pressure" that can be used with Cover 6.
3rd Down 3-4 Defensive Package
The presentation concludes with Didier sharing the 3-4 defense package that can be used as a third down "nickel" or "dime" package.
- Learn how they determine what sub packages they use from year to year.
- Learn the responsibilities of each player in the 3-4 package.
- Learn how to use the 3-4 against the run and how to create pressure from the 3-4.
This is a great video for any defensive coach. Coach Didier does an excellent job at presenting the thought process behind constructing a situational approach to defense and the specifics of how to get it done!
51 minutes. 2018.Football Videos