- Learn how to build the latest version of Bruce Pearl's "55" full-court 1-2-1-1 pressure defense
- Learn how to better recover and match-up in transition defense from a disadvantaged situation
- Discover a series of sideline out-of-bounds plays and counters for scoring against various defensive looks
- Get a proven system for aggressively defending baseline out-of-bounds plays
with Bruce Pearl, Auburn University Head Coach;
2018 Red Auerbach National Coach of the Year;
former University of Tennessee Head Coach;
2010 Elite Eight,
2008 SEC Regular Season champions,
1995 NCAA Div. II champions (Southern Indiana)
Auburn Head Coach Bruce Pearl covers a variety of topics ranging from creating a team identity, the benefits of implementing a trapping, pressing defensive system, and the ability to score on inbounds plays when the opportunity presents itself.
Coach Pearl begins by teaching his famed 1-2-1-1 full-court defensive pressure system. Coach Pearl's teams have always been known as great pressing teams and in this session you'll see why other teams dread facing his 1-2-1-1 press. He takes players onto the court and goes through each position, the type of player to put in it, roles and responsibilities in the press, and how to determine which post player would be better at the back of the press.
You'll get details like
- the two types of passes that can beat the press
- the best time to steal the ballwhere steals will most likely happen
You'll also learn how to defend against various offensive formations, including opponents that attempt to attack the pressure via 1-guard, 2-guards, 3-guards, and the 4-across formation.
Pressing defense exhausts and disrupts opponents, makes your team aggressive and can change the pace of the game to help your team come from behind.
Coach Pearl also provides three sideline out-of-bounds sets that lead directly into the flex offense that he ran at Tennessee. You'll learn how to effectively use these sets against a man or zone defense.
Coach Pearl closes the session with a discussion on how to pressure and disrupt offensive inbound plays via defensive pressure. With each player focused on maintaining inside position, jamming gaps, defensive switching and "guarding two-with-one" spacing, Pearl demonstrates the art of altering an offense's play design by effecting the timing and spacing of the offensive movement.
Produced at the 2013 VCU Basketball Coaches Clinic.
76 minutes. 2014.Basketball Videos