Train your team to maintain its rhythm while playing at various tempos
- Learn how to incorporate three paces into your transition offense to control tempo
- Discover five sets you can use to score in transition
- Learn how utilizing spacing and ball movement in transition can make your team tougher to defend
with Roy Rana,
Sacramento Kings (NBA) Assistant Coach;
former Ryerson University Head Coach;
led Ryerson to the Bronze Medal at the 2015 CIS national championship and Silver in 2017;
Canadian High School Coach of the Year (2003, 2004, 2006);
Toronto Sun High School Coach of the Year (2003);
High School Coach of the Year in Canada Award (2009);
OUA Wilson Cup Champion (2015-16, 2016-17);
Silver Medalist U Sports Final 8 (2017, 2018);
Nike Hoop Summit Title - World Selects Team (2012, 2013);
2017 U19 Canadian Men's Basketball Team Head Coach (Gold medal - 2017, Egypt)
Teams that can control and adjust to tempo are in control of the game.
Roy Rana, head coach of Canada's Junior National Team and now Assistant Coach for the Sacramento Kings, has taken the game of basketball and broken it down into several layers of transition. Each layer flows into your half court offensive system and also demonstrates how to maximize scoring opportunities in the open court. Coach Rana shows how your players can get shots up in transition from dribble penetration, drift shots, open 3-pointers and paint touches.
Pace of Play
You will learn how your team can play at various paces, while still flowing into your regular offense. Coach Rana describes three paces that most teams play at. With the majority of teams wanting to score in transition, he demonstrates how to utilize 80% of your offensive touches at a fast pace in order to score within the first four seconds of having the ball. Coach Rana also uses 5v0 drills to show scoring opportunities from the wing, dribble penetration and how/when to throw the ball ahead. For the other 20% of touches, he demonstrates the use of a mid or dead ball pace.
Various transition drills are on display that require the offense to use quality passing and get a layup or open 3-pointer. In Coach Rana's Maverick drill, players are put into an offensive advantage situation where they outlet the ball above the 3-point line in order to push the ball up the floor as fast as possible. By including a half court defense, players are taught how use their speed and quickness in the half court to score off of a sprint. Coach Rana's half court offense gives players the option of getting to the rim or hitting the open 3-pointer in order to use a quick style of play.
Transition Offense Sets
Coach Rana slows down his demonstration as he shows five transition scoring sets. By using the San Antonio Spurs' style of offense, he shows how to move the ball around the perimeter in his Trail Series. These are great scoring sets with multiple opportunities for your players to drive to the rim for an open layup off of a foot race, or a quick kick out for an open 3-pointer.
Coach Rana finishes the video by talking about the international game, how the 24 second shot clock is broken down into three 8 second segments and what your team should be trying to accomplish in each segment.
Coach Rana's up-tempo style of play will get your players excited and allow them to have fun on the court. Today's hottest scoring actions and opportunities from the NBA are utilized, and can be applied to any level of play.
64 minutes. 2016.Basketball Videos