Build the communication skills and basketball IQ of your team!
- Get two scrimmage drills to minimize turnovers and find easy baskets to make your opponents pay for playing full court defense
- Build your transition offense with the three practice drills to learn how to push the ball and score while your team has a numbers advantage
- Use the 3-on-3 Kansas City drill to teach your players how to defend early offensive actions in transition
with Matt Painter,
Purdue University Head Coach;
2017 Big 10 Regular Season Champions - has led Purdue to three Big 10 titles (2009 regular-season and 2010 tournament;
3x Big Ten 'Coach of the Year'; 2x Sweet Sixteen appearances;
2009 US U19 National Team (Assistant Coach), Gold Medalist at the FIBA U19 World Championship
How do coaches get their practices to simulate game-like situations? Too often, players go through the motions at practice and expect to just 'turn on a switch' when it's time for the game. In this video, three-time Big Ten Coach of the Year, Matt Painter, gives you his methods to make his practices as game-like as possible.
You'll see three fast break and transition drills that you can implement with your team. Learn the importance of having different ways to score drills to emphasize what is important within your basketball program. Also, you'll view how to effectively work on your press and press break situations within practice.
Coach Painter shows you "the progression drill," 3-on-2 to 2-on-1, and the Kansas City drill to help emphasize transition basketball within your practices. You will see:
- The value of kicking the ball ahead in transition
- How to get your team to talk effectively and consequences if they do not
- See how to emphasize more than just the 3-point shot, and get the ball inside
- How to condition your players in game-like transition drills
Coach Painter gives you two key press drills that you can use to help press and break the press. The 7 Minute Press game and the Competitive Press drill get your team to work on and against a press in a game-like situation. You will see:
- How to use the concept of "double points" to penalize your team for turning the ball over.
- How to work on your man and zone press within the same drill.
- How to make use of your assistant coaches so they can lead teams.
5 Ball Shooting
Coach Painter uses his 5 Ball Shooting drill to get his players conditioned and get game-like shots up during practice. He also uses this drill to get players talking and communicating with one another. See how to make this drill competitive in your own practice, so that every shot and layup matter.
Coach Painter gives you insight into his open practice and how he gets his team to be competitive to help simulate game-like situations. This video is a must-have for any coach that is looking to run competitive practices.
66 minutes. 2017.Basketball Videos