- Learn drills to effectively defend and score off of your opponent's leg attacks
- Learn a down block series that can lead to major points for any defensive wrestler
- Defend and score off of an opponent's single, even when his hands are locked
with Alex Clemsen, University of Missouri Head Assistant Coach;
former University of Virginia Assistant Coach;
All-American wrestler at Edinboro; 4x Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference Champion
When a wrestler builds confidence on his feet, it makes him more aggressive on the mat. Former All-American Alex Clemsen teaches the basic principles that stop four primary leg attacks - Low Single, Single Leg, Hi-Crotch, and Double Leg. Coach Clemsen's fundamental defense techniques include:
- Getting back to the basics of a first line of defense on the feet
- Keeping opponents from getting to the legs
- Turning your opponent's attack into your own attack
- Scoring when your opponent attacks your legs
Fundamental baseline defense is key to successful wrestling. Coach Clemsen's baseline defense includes:
- Perfecting the stance so opponent's can only attack one leg
- Closing distance effectively without opening up to an attack
- Matching levels with the opponent
- Down-blocking with force and spinning to score on opponent's shotsFinishing the down-block and spinning with a cradle to get the fallDown-blocking to a re-attack on even the best of opponents
Coach Clemsen's down-block series shows effective ways to score from the feet while getting attacked. He covers many different scenarios that work together to ensure a score no matter how the offensive man reacts.
Leg Attack Defense
In the second section of this video, Coach Clemsen addresses countering specific leg attacks. These counters include:
- Stopping single leg attacks and scoring off of their shot, even if they have a great grip
- Countering deep high crotch attacks, again scoring off of their shot
- Defending a low single leg and turn it into your attack
Not often can attacks be countered over and over again with success, but Coach Clemsen presents a series to help accomplish just that. It allows the defensive man to continue to score despite being under attack.
This video is designed for the new wrestler and the seasoned mat veteran alike. While Clemsen teaches these basic positions, he goes into great detail by working through all the little things that make the defense effective.
When you have confidence in your defense, you will be more comfortable opening up your offense!
54 minutes. 2013.Wrestling Videos