Learn a variety of trapping drills that will help your team apply full court defensive pressure
- Learn how to vary defensive pressure based on offensive personnel
- Discover ways to tailor your defense to shut down opponents' key strengths
- Get options to defend the pick-and-roll and multiple offensive sets
with Kevin Boyle,
Montverde Academy (FL) Head Boys Basketball Coach
- 2018 High School National Champions
- 2018 Naismith High School Boy's Coach of the Year (also won the Naismith award in 2011); 2018 American Family Insurance ALL-USA Boys Basketball National Coach of the Year
- 4x High School National Champions, including Back-to-Back-to-Back National titles (2013-15) - only high school coach ever to win three Consecutive National Championships
- In 2017, USA TODAY named Montverde Academy the "Team of the Decade" in High School Basketball in the U.S.
- 4x National High School Coach of the Year (USA Today, Naismith and ESPN)
- 4x Jordan Brand Classic Head Coach
- In the Last six NBA Drafts (2011-15) Boyle has coached five players selected in the top 3 overall picks - the first time any college or high school has ever accomplished
Getting your team to play quality defense on a consistent basis is a challenge for any coach. Whether it's on ball pressure, denying off the ball or help defense, teaching multiple defensive concepts can be tricky.
One of the preeminent high school coaches in the country, Kevin Boyle's teams have been ranked in the top 25 nationally every year for over 20 years. Coach Boyle outlines the steps for creating a stifling team defense that will make your team a perennial contender for your league championship.
Individual Defensive Drills
Using his progressive defensive breakdown drills, Coach Boyle gives you five defensive drills to help your team become a tough and consistent force on defense. These drills will:
- Help you teach players to mirror the basketball in a dead ball situations
- Show you how Coach Boyle progressed to teach how to trace and then deny off the ball
- Unveil multiple strategies to guard the pick & roll, such as: hand touching, flat, over turn and sprint the screen. Also included is guarding an iso pick & roll.
- Teach your players to help and recover to players who can shoot and/or drive to the basket
Learn how to Defend Multiple Play Sets
Knowing how to guard your opponents' plays has become an important part of basketball at every level. Coach Boyle demonstrates how he defends common play sets and actions that his opponents run. Some of the sets his teams defend against (and Coach Boyle presents on the court) include:
- The flex offense
- The UCLA offense
- The Slice offense concepts
As an added bonus, Coach Boyle demonstrates several out of bounds plays designed to beat the toughest defenses and help you add 5-10 points per game by mastering special situation opportunities. He shows simple out of bounds plays versus a 2-3 zone, plays to run baseline out of bounds vs. man and two last-second plays you can run in the full court to get a 2- or 3-point basket.
In addition to learning how to construct a rock-solid team defense, coaches and players at all levels will benefit from the practical insights Coach Boyle shares to emphasize key points, such as how to disrupt offensive spacing and how to block post-ups and penetration.
If you want to compete in every game, build your reputation as a tough road team and contend consistently for supremacy in your league, you'll want to take advantage of these high-energy lessons on team defense from a nationally-ranked coach who has done all three.
Produced at the Spring 2015 Myrtle Beach (SC) clinic.
65 minutes. 2016.Basketball Videos