- Learn how to design a 3-4 defense that is difficult to block but simple to learn
- Learn how to develop a sound one-gap defensive scheme to use against any offense
- Get blitz schemes that will destroy the best plays of the best offensive teams on your schedule
with John Hines, Pulaski County (KY) High School;
2013 Class 5A State Runner-Up;
When John Hines took over the Pulaski County football program in 1994, it was ranked last in the state of Kentucky. In 2013, Hines' won his fourth district championship in five seasons and advanced to the 5A state championship game.
In this presentation, you'll see a defensive scheme that's especially effective for small player teams like Coach Hines'. He uses a two-gap alignment that shifts to one-gap on the snap of the ball to maximize the talents of smaller, quicker defensive linemen.
The design of Coach Hines' 3-4 defense enables you to compete against larger, more physical teams because:
- the defensive line moves on the snap
- the depth of the linebackers makes it difficult for offensive guards to block them
- the blitz package wreaks havoc on blocking schemes and creates confusion
- the cover 2 scheme enables the secondary to defend against the run and pass with simple keys
Coach Hines covers each position starting with the defensive line, which is coached to move down the line of scrimmage. This avoids over-penetrating and closes down seams that allow big plays in the running game. The inside linebackers play at 4-yard depths, which lets them attack in a downhill path creating great momentum to stuff the run game. The outside backers flip-flop and Coach Hines puts his best defender at the strong side backer, which lets him use his athletic ability to make plays. The secondary consists of two corners and two safeties. The corners set the edge and the safeties fill the alley on the run.
Coach Hines uses a PowerPoint presentation to clearly identify each position. He follows up with film to help you see each defensive call in action. This is a tremendous teaching tool for any coach who wants to learn the Championship 3-4 defensive package. As a bonus, Coach Hines shows his blitz package.
This presentation is an excellent resource for any coach who desires to have a championship defense that is sound against any offensive attack.
Produced at the 2014 Louisville Nike Coach of the Year clinic.
48 minutes. 2014.