- Get 11 efficient practice drills that will help train your team to play aggressive, up-tempo lacrosse
- See a practice plan heavy with "touches" and hidden conditioning to effectively build players' skills
- Pick up unique ways to integrate ground ball work into game-like offensive, defensive, and transition scenarios
with Mike Murphy, The Hill School (PA) Head Coach;
former Colgate University Head Men's Lacrosse Coach;
Finished 2012 season ranked in Top 10 Nationally in his first season at Colgate;
former Defensive Coordinator at Army, in 2011 Army's defense ranked #9 nationally in scoring defense
Join Coach Mike Murphy as he provides a smorgasbord of high-tempo drills that focus on critical skills, unsettled situations, and conditioning. These drills reinforce Coach Murphy's motto of "Play fast, but not in a hurry." This philosophy helped his 2011-2012 Colgate team achieve an historic season, winning its first-ever NCAA tournament game and finishing in the top 10 nationally (Inside Lacrosse).
In this efficient video, Murphy walks coaches through a full session of 11 high-tempo, high-energy drills. You'll see the team go through their entire warm-up and dynamic stretch routine, then execute the full practice live as the coaches run the team through:
- Bang It Off the Wall Drill - A clearing, passing and conditioning drill.
- Maroon Ground Balls - An unsettled 4-on-4 drill focusing on communication, unsettled situations and clearing.
- Stickwork Station: "Zip and Skip" - Focusing on quick and accurate passing.
- Stickwork Station: "Give and Go" - Features full field passing on the run.
- Dragon Clearing - A demanding full-field exercise for middies and defenders, passing and shooting for middies while on the run, cross field passing for the defenders while on the run, and feeding and running for the attack.
- The 6-on-4 Beast Drill - Teaches the offense to play in space and defenders to rotate as a unit, with clears if defense gets the ball.
- Omaha Drill - A full field 6-on-6 drill that simulates face-off and rapid transition to offense/defense, depending on who secures the ball.
- The 6-on-5 Defensive Wheel Pattern - For half-field fundamentals working on slides and keeping sticks in the passing lanes.
- The Apache Ground Ball Drill - Focuses on defensive play in unsettled situations.
- The Over-the-Cage Shooting Drill - Forces proper shooting form.
- The Defensive Nugget Drill - Teaches long sticks to knock down passes.
Most of these drills include a conditioning component and reinforce the clearing concept with a change of possession or goal.
Murphy keep players flying in a fun, upbeat atmosphere, with plenty of touches. Whether it's talking to the team as a whole, positional groups or individual players, you'll hear Murphy throughout the video working with his players to make small adjustments and improvements.
Energize your high school or skilled youth team's practice by cribbing a few notes from one of the brightest young coaching minds in the game today!
89 minutes. 2013.Lacrosse Videos