- Learn to create a high school seasonal plan
- Get a detailed breakdown of five seasonal training phases
- Includes strategies and creative workout ideas
- Make the most of your practice time by organizing your team into productive training groups
with Mark Onstott, former New Trier HS (IL) Head Swim Coach,:
7x Team State Champions (IL), 2x "National Boy's Swimming Coach of the Year" Award (NFHSCA),
awarded US' 'National Championship' HS team (2007) by Swimming World magazine,
team was named 2009 National Dual Meet Champions by NISCA (National Interscholastic Swimming Coaches Association).
Mark Onstott, one of the country's top high school coaches, from the legendary New Trier (IL) High School presents his proven training methods and workout strategies. This DVD offers a comprehensive look into how to plan your high school season, how to organize your team into productive training groups and how to vary workouts during each training cycle.
Part 1: Training and workout strategy
- How to construct a workout
- Planning workouts for the season
- How to create a seasonal calendar
- Overview of the 5 Training Phases from early season through taper
- How to place swimmers in the appropriate training lanes with test sets to determine training groups including tips for dealing with limited space
- Defined training zones with heart rate guidelines and related training distances and intervals
Part 2: Training Phases of the Season
This segment includes goals and specific breakdowns of the duration of each phase along with the type of training that occurs in each phase. Onstott includes invaluable tips for the "intangibles" that take place in each phase of the season, such as when to work in videotaping, start work, team and individual characteristics in each phase of the season and more. Also included are strategies for test sets and types of workouts that characterize each phase of the season.
- Phase 1: Early season #1 no meets (2 weeks with no meets)
- Phase 2: Early Season #2 (weeks 2-4 of season)
- Phase 3: Winter break
- Phase 4: Competition/event specialization
- Phase 5: Taper
Part 3: Program Core Beliefs and Philosophy
In this segment, Onstott details five major areas that are the driving force for his program success.
These areas include:
- Core beliefs (6)
- Philosophy (6 guidelines)
- Responsibilities (5 athlete responsibilities)
- Team goals
This DVD provides you with everything you need to assist you in planning and implementing a championship high school season!
65 minutes. 2011.Swimming & Diving Videos