Teach your wrestlers how to get comfortable with, and start dominating from, the bottom position!
- Build a system for bottom position based on movement, distance, and hand control
- See how to defend against the leg ride, which is one of the toughest offenses for young wrestlers to deal with
- Taper practice intensity for competition to maximize the energy your athletes have late in the season
with Mark Manning,
University of Nebraska Head Coach;
2x USA Wrestling Terry McCann Freestyle Coach of the Year (2015, 2017);
2009 U.S. Freestyle World Team Coach; 2011 FILA Freestyle Coach of the Year;
2012 U.S. Freestyle Olympic Volunteer Coach;
2009 Big 12 Conference Champions; 2x Big 12 Coach of the Year;
2009 Dan Gable Coach of the Year;
Coach of Jordan Burroughs (Olympic Champion, 3x World Champion and 2x NCAA Division I National Champion); and James Green (2015 World Bronze Medalist and 4x All American)
Wrestlers of all levels struggle from one important position in the sport: the bottom. Coach Mark Manning goes over three main principles every wrestler should master to be able to score from the bottom position in this informative video.
Focusing on the bottom wrestler and what constitutes good position are key to scoring points from the bottom. The three key principles to focus on are motion, distance and hand control. Once these three principles are mastered, your wrestles will be able to score on all opponents from the bottom position.
- Manning touches on the following essentials of wrestling from the bottom:
- Off the whistle, constant motion will allow your wrestlers to get weight off their hands and get pressure back into their opponents.
- Once weight is off their hands, wrestlers then focus on ways to create distance between their opponent's hip and their own.
- Finally, hand control will be established before attempting to escape or reverse their opponent.
Coach Manning adds additional insights into his coaching philosophy, going in-depth into what makes his Nebraska wrestling program special. He also touches on team unity, athlete leadership, focusing on the fundamentals and length of practices.
This video goes into detail about fundamental positions and actions that will give your athletes all they need to get off bottom. Along the way, Coach Manning also gives you a look into the philosophies and practices that have made Nebraska wrestling a power in the Big Ten Conference. A fantastic resource for any wrestling coach!
72 minutes. 2020.Wrestling Videos