- Develop your post players' mobility and skills in and around the paint
- Former Duke Player of the Year and current Duke assistant coach Steve Wojciechowski shows what it takes to be a great guard
- 10 competitive shooting drills that will keep your players constantly moving rather than standing and waiting for their next shot
- Learn 10 proven quick-hitting actions you can use in your motion offense
- Get the techniques and drills you need to build stingy individual and team defense
with Jeff Capel,
University of Pittsburgh Head Coach;
former Duke University Associate Head Coach;
former Head Coach at Oklahoma (2009 NCAA Elite 8) and VCU (2004 CAA Champions)
Duke assistant coach, Jeff Capel has created a post player workout that is packed with drills that develop skill and mobility. First, Coach Capel demonstrates offensive techniques that will teach your post players:
- Jump hooks
- Drop steps
- Quick go (one dribble into a running hook)
- Quick spin move
- Reverse pivots into jumpers
Each move is taught on both sides of the paint and to develop the use of either hand.
Create scoring chances from a variety of spots on the floor using a flash, duck-in, roll, pop and more. All of the shots in this post series are implemented into five intense shooting drills:
- 4 Around 1 Breakdown Drill - A breakdown of shots and situations your posts will see in your offense.
- 4 and 5 Shot Drill - These drills string together a series of shots that posts will regularly see in games.
- Wing (wide action) and Angle Ball Screens (high action) - Improves the effectiveness of the 2-man game.
- 5 Spot Skills (out of rips and off of offensive rebounds) - Forces post players to develop skills from the perimeter, which can be an uncomfortable location for them on the court.
With Duke's post player development, your post players will become unstoppable multi-skilled and mobile big men.
46 minutes. 2013.
with Steve Wojciechowski, Marquette University Head Coach;
former Duke University Associate Head Coach; 1998 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year, 2x All-ACC Team, Honorable Mention AP All American, 2x National Champion as assistant coach, 5x ACC regular season champion, 3x Final Four appearances, part of 2008 US Olympic Gold Medal Coaching Staff
One of the greatest guards to ever come out of Duke University brings you the formula for developing a complete point guard. Steve "Wojo" Wojciechowski is a master at developing great guards.
As a former point guard and NABC National Defensive Player of the year, he knows what it takes to be successful. In this on-court presentation, Wojo shares his best exercises to develop ball-handling skills, shooting, and defensive abilities.
Coach Wojciechowski details every aspect of a guard's game as he takes you through some of the drills Duke uses to train their guards within their offensive system. With each drill, he emphasizes small details that most player's overlook as they train for success.
Guards must be able to maintain control against pressure in order to facilitate the offense and maintain the ability to attack. Coach Wojciechowski demonstrates full court ball handling drills that will help you teach your players how to:
- Always see the floor as their dribbling.
- Push the pace when they want the game to speed up.
- Slow the pace in order organize and command the offense.
- Create space between themselves and their defenders.
Coach Wojciechowski speaks specifically about developing a relationship with your team's point guards to ensure you share the same vision. He outlines five qualities every point guard needs to have in order to better understand your philosophy, mentality, and vision for the team.
Developing a true relationship of teaching and trust will allow your point guard to act as a natural extension of you.
The second part of this workout includes a "Game Shots Series" with a specific focus on making your players practice the shots they will get in a game. The series includes:
- Power Layups
- Running Hooks
- Goofy Foot Layups
- Giant Killers (tear drops)
- Reverse Layups
- 15ft Catch-and-Shoot
- Post Feeds and Kick-Outs
- Penetrate and K