Build a solid team defense based on time-tested fundamentals!
- Stunt and rotate with your help defenders to prevent dribble penetration into the paint
- See how to double-team the post to force turnovers and take a star post player out of the game
- Use "Black" and "Left" strategies against pick & rolls to dictate how your opponent uses ball screens
with Steve Fisher,
former San Diego State University Head Coach;
Back-to-Back-to-Back MWC Regular Season Champions (2014-16),
6x MWC Regular Season and 4x MWC Tournament Champions;
2015 Wooden Legends of Coaching Award recipient;
Naismith College Coach of the Year (2011),
NABC Coach of the Year (2011);
former University of Michigan Head Coach,
1989 NCAA Champions; over 490 Career Wins
Great defensive teams were a hallmark of Steve Fisher's illustrious coaching career. All of his dominant defenses were established through a consistency in teaching philosophy through every practice. Through over 15 practice drills in this video, Coach Fisher shows how you can translate his concepts to develop a more aggressive and disciplined team defense.
Fisher breaks down how to get your team to play with great defensive tempo as well as great technique. With an emphasis on communication and positioning, Fisher walks viewers through some of the basic drills he used to build his San Diego State teams into consistent winners.
Shell Drill should be a part of every practice if you truly want a great defense. Coach Fisher shows how you can vary the Shell Drill to teach a number of defensive fundamentals through the "technique" and "tempo" drill formats. This will help you instruct your players through the finer details of your defensive system while giving them an opportunity to compete at game speed.
Defensive concepts that are demonstrated through the Shell Drill include:
- Defensive positioning that will pressure passing lanes while simultaneously providing help support.
- Preventing dribble penetration into the gaps of the defense with stunts.
- Rotating defenders to double the ball and cover the first pass out on baseline drives.
- Keeping your man in front of you with great individual defense on the ball.
- Playing with greater urgency off the ball to help teammates in disadvantageous situations.
- Doubling the ball with three different strategies to keep your opponent guessing throughout the game.
More Drills and Techniques
Coach Fisher shares additional drills that will help you develop your players into great all-around defenders. The Numbers Rebounding drill will teach your team how to scramble to contest open shooters and secure the ball. The Trace drill will help you perfect closeout technique to aggressively pressure the ball without giving up the drive.
You will also see how to disrupt a ball screen offense with the "Black" and "Left" strategies. These tactics will help your team defense by forcing the ball into certain areas of the court to make your opponent play into weaknesses. Fisher shows how to take away a star player's ability to win the game with a trapping strategy for late game situations. Finally, he gives you the "Regular" and "Lock" methods that helped his teams defend baseline inbound plays so effectively.
This video will give you a detailed, well-organized blueprint for developing one of the most critical components of the game - an aggressive defense that can create turnovers and help your team win close games!
73 minutes. 2018.Basketball Videos