- Help your team play stingy defense
- A complete guide to defensive skill breakdown
- Strengthen your goal keeping skills
with John Tanner,
Stanford University Head Women's Water Polo Coach,
2017 NCAA Champions - five NCAA titles in seven years (2011-17) and six NCAA crowns overall
4x ACWPC Coach of the Year;
and Assistant Coach of Men's 2000 US Olympic Water Polo Team
Coach John Tanner breaks down Defensive Skills for Water Polo into 4 parts.
- Part 1: Movement, Tanner teaches and explains the basics for defensive movement in the water. He discusses vertical and horizontal movement strategies and techniques and includes detailed breakdowns of the kicking and sculling techniques and variations and also details the components of reversals.
- Part 2: Perimeter Defense, details positional strategies for steals, shot blocking, and defending release and drive moves by the offense.
- Part 3: Two-Meter Defense, Tanner covers fronting, reverse spins, shifting behind, clearing, shot blocking and helping on perimeter shots.
- Part 4: Tanner details the position of goal keeping and breaks down techniques base position, with lateral movement techniques. Tanner also shares drills for base position jabbing for inside shots; drills and positioning for perimeter shots and lunging; drills for combining both inside and perimeter shots.
Coach Tanner's methodology is enhanced with in-the-water demonstrations and includes both above and underwater footage.
39 minutes. 2004.Water Polo Videos