- Develop a high tempo style of offense with these structured, quick-hitting progressions
- Discover shooting drills that will help you stretch the defense, space the floor and allow for easier scores from any location in transition
- Learn the "basic" UNLV transition offensive set, counters and situations
- Teach your players to play fast and under control using the UNLV Nugget Drill
with Dave Rice, former UNLV Head Coach;
2x NCAA Tournament appearance, back-to-back 20 win seasons since 1990-1991, part of Runnin Rebels 1990 NCAA Championship team as a player
Quick, easy points are hard to come by and can make a big difference in a hard fought game.
Join Coach Dave Rice as he breaks down how the Runnin' Rebels get fast and easy buckets with their transition offensive schemes. Coach Rice is a product of the UNLV system winning a national championship as a player under legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian. In this DVD, Coach Rice uses early offense strategies to allow his athletes to score.
Before hitting the court, Coach Rice explains how the Runnin' Rebels train and why they are able to push the ball up the court with so much success. He stresses attacking the weakest areas of opponents such as their transition defense (the post players that jog back on defense).
Using on-court demonstrations in a clinic setting, Coach Rice guides you through shooting and transition drills that he uses on a daily basis to teach his transition progression. Within each shooting drill and its layers, Rice demonstrates how to get game shots within the Runnin' Rebel transition offense. He provides enough detail so you can modify the drills to fit your transition offense in order to incorporate such actions as back door cuts, post play action, driving angles, and how to fill on the perimeter.
Coach Rice explains his "Nugget Drill," which he uses to train his players how to push the ball and attack the defense while looking for the best possible shot in the open court. In the "Nugget Drill," players learn how to attack a defender head-on in 2-on-1, 3-on-2, 4-on-3, 5-on-4, and 5-on-5 full court-situations.
Moving to the heart of the presentation, Coach Rice shows you his basic transition set that leads into any of the Rebels' half-court offenses or sets. These sets are easy to learn and allow players to get into them quickly and effectively.
- Basic Package - Uses a rip screen to get shooters open and a baseline screen to allow easy entry into the post.
- Reverse - Your great shooters will get a good look from behind the arc while every other cut creates an easy scoring option.
- Flash - Gets your post player into the action early and initiates the flow of the offense from the high post.
Each of these quick progressions presents opportunities for all players on the court. Rice holds nothing back as he demonstrates how each player must sprint to fill their spot on the perimeter or sprint from spot to spot as they use every cut for a scoring opportunity.
With small tweaks to "traditional" shooting and transition drills, you will be able to easily teach your team to play faster. If you are looking to put some method into your fast break madness, this clinic will help get you into an up-tempo system.
Produced at the Spring 2012 Verona (NY) clinic.
74 minutes. 2013.Basketball Videos