Use favorable match-ups and quick hitters to take advantage of the defense!
- See an option for getting each position the ball in a separate action in the Floppy Series
- Get half-court sets that include flare screens and flex screens that are tough to guard
- Learn how to attack the half-court defense out of transition
with Dan Majerle,
Grand Canyon University Head Coach;
former Phoenix Suns Assistant Coach;
14-year NBA veteran, 3x NBA All Star, 2x NBA All-Defensive Second Team, member of Dream Team 2
Offense in the half-court has become an important way of scoring for teams for all divisions of basketball. An effective half-court offense with multiple options forces defenses to break down and have to cover many different looks.
Legendary Phoenix Suns three-time NBA All-Star, Dan Majerle - now head coach at Grand Canyon University - shows how he teaches four NBA pro sets (Floppy, Down, Pop and Elbow) and the various options off each set. You will see how to isolate a specific player as well as how to train your players to get to their spots on offense.
Using a pre-practice plan philosophy, Majerle starts each practice using drills based on what he wants to work on for that day. He has about 12 different drills that he uses to keep practices fresh, exciting and competitive. His feature dill is called Create a Lead. This drill combines a lot of the actions and fundamentals he uses in his half-court offense sets. The drill is important because it reinforces many behaviors, such as:
- Creating space
- Using the correct pivot foot
- How to create a hand target
- Stepping to make a pass
- How to free up your shooting foot
- Catch, turn and face
NBA Half-Court Sets
Coach Majerle presents his four half-court offensive sets, each containing different options out of the same sets. There are a lot of moving parts, but they are pretty simple to teach with repetition. Offensive sets include:
Floppy Series - See how to run this popular quick-hitting offense. You will see how to:
- Run multiple sets such as Weak, Strong and Flash within the Floppy Offense
- See the options that include post flashes, back-doors, dribble hand-offs and lobs
Down Series - See how to run Two Down and Three Down within this series. You will also see:
- How to get flex cuts within your offense
- How to run Reverse and Snap action to counter a cheating defense
- How incorporate flare screens within the offense
Pop Series - Looking to get your 4-man or 1-man a specific look in the offense? If so, the Pop Series is right for you and your team. You will see:
- How to use slip screens to get players open
- How to use pin downs and double screens to get players open
- How to use the Four Pop Fist set to get pick & roll action within your offense
Elbow Series - See how a traditional 1-4 High set can create mismatches for your team. Learn how to use Strong, Weak, Clear and Get to create multiple looks on offense. You will see how:
- Elbow Clear gets your team an isolation look if your post player is quicker than the opponent's
- To use curl and double screens to get players open
- Elbow Get uses pick & roll action with your bigs
Coach Majerle shows you plays that are ran at the highest level of basketball. He discusses how a portion or all of these plays can be used at all levels of basketball. If you use the plays presented in this DVD, your opponents will be scratching their heads for answers on defense.
"I loved how practical the plays were and could be used at a high school level" -Customer Review
Produced at the Spring 2016 Overland Park (KS) clinic.
64 minutes. 2017.Basketball Videos