- Get coaching tips and insights on how to increase your effectiveness on defense from 2x National Coach of the Year Andy Lopez
- Get practice ideas for bunt defense, first and third situations, cuts and relays, run downs, and pick offs
- Teach your players to attack the offense using verbal and non-verbal communication
with Andy Lopez, former University of Arizona Head Coach, 1,170 career wins;
2x NCAA Champion coach; 3x National Coach of the Year; 9x Conference Coach of the Year;
led teams to 5 College World Series appearances; led Arizona to 10 NCAA Tournament appearances; Collegiate Baseball and American Baseball Coaches Association's 2012 'Coach of the Year'
Andy Lopez's philosophy is that championships are won with pitching and defense. These two keys must remain consistent throughout the season for a team to win championships. In this live practice video, Coach Lopez explains his defensive philosophy and concepts and then demonstrates these concepts in a live practice setting. This high intensity defensive practice works on all aspects of defense in a short amount of time.
The drills presented in this DVD focus on communication skills, team building skills, and the physical skills that are required to effectively handle the many defensive situations you will face in a game. Situations ranging from pick offs, run downs, cuts and relays, bunt coverages, and run defenses that will help your team compete at a high level.
You will see:
- Bunt Defense and Philosophy - Learn the cues that the Wildcat infielders use when a probable bunt or slash situation is on.
- Runners at First and Third - Make your opponents earn their runs. Lopez explains the visual cues he wants his infielders and catchers to use to stop the runner at third base.
- Rundown Philosophy - Learn how to "go get the runner." in one throw or less.
- The Street Monkey Drill - This is a unique drill that incorporates all infielders, pitchers, and catchers and allows you to work on multiple situations simultaneously, practice communication and get a lot of reps in a short amount of time.
- Pickoff Moves to All Three Bases - Coach Lopez uses three pitchers' on the mound picking to different bases and rotating. This drill also trains infielders to communicate to the pitchers where they want the throws.
- Double-Cuts Philosophy: This situation trains the middle infielders to use their eyes and communicate by "mirroring the call" from the catcher. And much more!
There is no question that even if you only take one thing from this DVD and use it in your program, you will be on your way to becoming a better defensive team.
2013.71 minutes + 27 minutes of bonus material. 2013.Baseball Videos