- Improve your receivers' blocking skills to open up the big play potential in your run game
- 16 fundamentals of stalk blocking
- Learn why the first four steps in a pass route are critical
- Teach your receivers to attack the ball in flight and the level of concentration required to make the catch
- 10 keys to ball security to reduce turnovers
with David Kelly,
Florida State University Recruiting Coordinator;
former Assistant Head Coach and Wide Receiver Coach University of Central Florida
David Kelly brings decades of coaching experience to the wide receiver position. As a head high school football coach he compiled a record of 80-36-1 and won a Georgia High School AAAA State Championship. He has coached at the NCAA Division 1 level for over 10 years at perennial powerhouses such as LSU, Georgia and Georgia Tech. As a coach and educator, Kelly understands successful coaching is based on effective teaching. Throughout this video Kelly covers every aspect of the wide receiver position and offers coaches a blueprint for developing young receivers.
Position progression is explained so that coaches understand the need to begin coaching in the classroom. Using an overhead and practice video, Coach Kelly takes you through his progression of fundamentals for playing receiver.
The next step in position progression is moving to the field to demonstrate the drills required to teach the fundamentals. Kelly gives you key teaching points and strategies in the following areas.
- Four key wide receiver elements of stance, release, top of the route and finishing the route
- Develop the receivers blocking skills and how this leads to big plays in the running game
- Understand the importance of the first four steps in the pass route
- Read the triangle in route running
- How to catch low, high and back shoulder passes
- Deal with the distractions of catching a ball in traffic
- Attack the ball in flight, make the catch, explode up field and finish
- Multiple releases (such as a speed, stutter and diamond) versus press coverage and cover 2 corners
Kelly also covers the 16 key fundamentals of stalk blocking,
which he identifies as the number one element of the wide receiver position. Coaching points include explaining where coaches should position themselves during stalk blocking drills to ensure the fundamentals are executed properly.
This video offers drills and techniques that will help coaches establish efficient and effective wide receiver play.
73 minutes. 2012.Football Videos