- Learn a series of sprint mechanics and acceleration drills with specific cues to help athletes learn speed-enhancing posture, alignment, and sprint form
- Teach athletes correct block placement, how to push out of the blocks, and how to maximize the acceleration phase, transition phase and maximum velocity phase
- Utilize race strategies for all the sprints (100, 200, and 400), as well as strategies and drills to move the baton effectively in 4x100 and 4x400 relays
with Dana Boone, Texas State University Head Track & Field Coach;
former Oklahoma University Associate Head Women's Track Coach; 2x USTFCCCA Midwest Region Assistant Coach of the Year (2011 and 2007); coach of 53 All Americans; 6x All American at Virginia; 6x ACC Champion
With your focus on the little things, you can improve your overall sprint times with this proven formula for sprint success.
Dana Boone takes you through the sprints and relays in this video from the Becoming a Champion DVD Series. With emphasis on the beginning sprinter or coach, you will get an overview of what to look for and how to develop champion sprint and relay runners.
Staring with a series of warm-up exercises, static stretches, and dynamic flexibility drills, you will see more than 18 exercises to get yourself ready to sprint. Coach Boone gives detailed descriptions of what to look for while one of Texas State University's athletes performs the exercise.
Coach Boone delivers an in-depth, step-by-step breakdown of sprint drills focusing on:
- Acceleration technique in the first 7-10 steps
- The transition phase
- Reaching maximum velocity
- Maintaining speed and strength to the finish line
She breaks down each phase into its own component with an easy to follow approach. Boone also takes you through the basics of effective block set-up and cues to help you both relax and react to the sound of the starters' pistol.
You will also be introduced to a segment on race strategies for the 100M, 200M, and the 400M. Each race is broken down into parts with a specific focus for each stage of the race. Every race has its own unique nuances and learning what to do and when, is a big advantage.
You will see instruction on the 4x100 and 4x400 relay exchanges. The advantages and disadvantages of each type of hand-off is described in detail. Boone shows you several drills to work on mastering the baton pass to keep it moving around the track.
Finally you will pick up several plyometric and strength drills that will make you stronger and more explosive.
Coach Boone examines the essential drills and techniques required to become a better sprinter. With a focus on developing proper sprint mechanics, this DVD delivers over 30 drills and exercises necessary to become a champion sprinter!
41 minutes. 2013.Track & Field Videos