- Turn your linebackers into "heat seeking missiles"
- Learn essential drills for teaching footwork, taking on blocks, getting off blocks, open field tackling and more
- Train your backers to play fast and attack the line of scrimmage
with Hunter Hughes,
CSU-Pueblo Defensive Coordinator; 2014 NCAA D-II National Champions;
2011 FootballScoop.com Division II Coordinator of the Year
Under Hunter Hughes' leadership, the CSU-Pueblo defense played in big part in the 2014 national title. Coach Hughes' squad finished first in the nation in:
- points allowed - 12.8
- defensive touchdowns - 7
- turnovers gained - 43
- interceptions - 29
In fact, the defense has finished in the top 25 nationally in points allowed for seven consecutive years (2009-14), including first in the nation in 2014 and 2011. This DVD offers a look at how they do it year-after-year. Coach Hughes takes you through his drill package for attacking linebacker play and uses game footage to illustrate the key concepts used in the Thunder Wolves' 3-4 Defensive Package.
Listen in as Coach Hughes provides teaching points for turning your linebackers into "heat seeking missiles." His instruction covers:
- Four types of pursuit and proper keys for linebacker play in the 3-4 defense
- Eight everyday drills that teach proper footwork and taking-on and coming-off of blocks
- Open field and goal line tackling drills that force players to be physical and use correct technique
- Tips on how to "play fast" and attack the line of scrimmage through any "open windows" that may appear
Coach Hughes explains the one gap structure of the Thunder Wolves defense and the philosophy behind it. In addition to proper footwork, he discusses the importance of understanding flow to and from the player, as well as inside and outside threats. Hughes explains the importance of coaching linebackers to play deep, move down hill and attack the ball carrier inside/out with the shoulders square to the line of scrimmage.
Using game footage, Hughes explains all of the reads linebackers will see in a game. He also covers communication between linebackers and how it can be used to "play fast."
Any coach running the 3-4—including those who coach eight-player teams—will benefit from the instruction contained in this informative DVD.
Your defense can achieve the next level of competitive play; let Hunter Hughes show you how!
82 minutes. 2013.Football Videos