- Learn the value of training differently during the week depending on how your athletes are competing and what they have coming up
- Learn how small adjustments can improve the effectiveness of the front headlock and snake/cobra/cow catcher
- Discover how to use the legs to pinch and secure an opponent's hips to the mat and stop your opponent's first move for a stand-up
- Learn how a lifting session right after practice develops strength endurance needed for competing at a higher level
with Doug Schwab, University of Northern Iowa Head Coach;
2008 Olympian, 1999 NCAA Champion and 3x NCAA All-American at the University of Iowa;
Finished his career at Iowa with 130 wins, 10th best in school history; Former Assistant Coach at the University of Iowa
Join Doug Schwab as he takes you through three live practices and two individual workout sessions at the University of Northern Iowa. Coach Schwab delivers a behind-the-scenes look at the revitalization of the UNI program into an up-and-coming national power.
Coach Schwab and his staff cover all aspects of creating a championship program from the wrestling room to morning work to the weight room. See how Coach Schwab conducts practices during the early season (he begins with warm-ups and stretching) and how he adjusts his practice schedule and plan to fit each athlete's specific needs as the season progresses.
The features of this set include:
- Hard Drilling - Coach Schwab covers several individual and team drills focused on team trends. This segment of the video shows how to properly drill to get the most out of the technique for each wrestler.
- Stance and Motion Drills - Coach Schwab emphasizes staying in a good stance as well as down-blocking, sprawling and using these defenses to create scoring opportunities.
- Live Wrestling and Conditioning - Learn how to use different scenarios and conditioning exercises to maximize your athletes' toughness and stamina. Coach Schwab places his wrestlers in high activity conditioning drill stations or on the mat in live situations. This enables him to focus on the wrestlers on the mat and correct some of their mistakes without idling the rest of the squad.
- Individual Workouts - Coach Schwab devotes several early morning sessions to working with individual wrestlers to hone their skills and create a specific plan for their body type and ability. These individual workouts are designed to maximize each wrestler's potential. Coach Schwab explains how individual training not only helps the wrestler's skill development but also creates buy-in so that each wrestler knows that you want what is best for them.
- Weight Room - See a weight-lifting workout routine that is wrestling-specific and will help your athletes get stronger and more conditioned as the season moves forward. This routine builds explosiveness, upper body strength and lower body power that helps with injury prevention.
The practices shared in this video are high intensity with little down time. Coach Schwab and his staff place a major emphasis on drilling the basics. They constantly move from leg attacks to defense to front headlocks to defending them to bottom work and mat returns. Practice normally finishes with matches or multiple situations. While wrestlers are training and drilling, the coaches move around the practice area correcting whatever needs to be fixed. This prevents the formation of bad habits and keeps athletes fresh.
Hard work, physical and mental toughness and individual attention by the UNI coaching staff are trademarks of the UNI program. Whether it's in the weight room or in the wrestling room, you'll see how Coach Schwab is building a powerful national contender. After watching this series, you'll see why so many young men are enjoying great success at UNI and why they love wrestling for Coach Schwab.
"(Coach Schwab) is great one-on-one with his athletes. Doug's knowledge of the sport is so vast that he can give his wrestlers several options for all of the positions they cover."
385 minutes (5 DVDs). 2014.
All Access videos are designed to allow viewers from all over the world to see how successful coaches run their practices in a "live" practice setting. All Access videos allow viewers to see the practices un-edited and in real-time. You will see how top coaches run their drills, interact w