- Learn the drills and principles you need to defend using Jim Boeheim's 2-3 Zone Defense
- Improve your team's quickness and agility while warming up
- Learn man-to-man drills and concepts to build your team's overall defensive awareness
- Develop the ability to score on offense versus both man and zone defenses
with Jim Boeheim,
Syracuse University Head Coach; 2003 NCAA Champions;
2006 John R. Wooden Legends of Coaching Award; distinguished member of the Naismith Hall of Fame (2005)
; In 2010 - named the Naismith, the AP , the NABC and The Sporting News National College Coach of the Year and won the Henry Iba Award ;
Clair Bee Coach of the Year (2000);
4x Big East Coach of the Year (8X regular season champions, 5X conference champions);
US Men's Olympic Basketball Team - Assistant Coach (2008, 2012, 2016 - all Gold Medals)
2013 NCAA Final Four;
National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame (founding class of 2006)
In this All Access look at the Syracuse University basketball program you will get an inside look at how Jim Boeheim builds the foundation for his famous 2-3 zone defense and his penetrating half court offense. Coach Boeheim initiates this series of practice sessions with simple explanations of how he organizes each practice.
The practices include warm up drills that address agility and offensive and defensive principles, schemes and drills that put Syracuse at the top of polls year in and year out.
- Get the drills you need to develop effective rotations at the top of the 2-3 Zone
- Learn the drill responsible for Syracuse's intense rotations and their ability to cover so many offensive looks
- Combine ball handling with agility ladder footwork to develop total body control
The staff starts building the famous 2-3 Zone with two defenders learning to play the top of the zone against a variety of situations. You'll see 2-on-2, 3-on-3 and 4-on-4 drills that teach the man-to-man principles that help make the Syracuse zone defense so dominating. This leads into a controlled 5-on-5 full court scrimmage in which both squads are exposed to a variety of half-court and full-court defenses.
- Expose players to physical contact in rebounding and shooting to produce game-ready skills
- Teach fundamental close-outs and defensive rotations in competitive 2-on-2, 3-on-3, and 4-on-4 drills
- Get two quick hitters to use against man-to-man defense
This practice provides unique insight into understanding defensive rotations on the weak side against ball side penetration and fighting through down screens. You will see a defensive drill progression focusing on the back row of the zone with proper close-out technique and the correct rotation in 2-on-2, 3-on-3, and 4-on-4 match-ups.
- See how to breakdown the 2-3 zone defense into position-specific drills
- Learn to defend against the Pick-and-Roll in a 3-on-3 and a 4-on-4 breakdown drill
- Discover the drills Syracuse uses as the building blocks of their offense
This disc begins with the coaching staff answering questions about the 2-3 zone, player development, how practice evolves throughout the season and motivational tactics within the practice. On the court, the guards work on offensive tactics, while the post players continue to develop their offensive and defensive skills. The session includes a focus on defending in the 2-3 zone versus the high screen, which is essential to ensure the success of the Syracuse zone. Coach Boeheim puts it all together in the 5-on-5 setting where he emphasizes 2-3 zone, half-court man-to-man, and full court man-to-man run-and-jump defenses.
- Learn a simple technique for taking away easy driving lanes to the hoop
- See how to defend the short corner when playing the 2-3 zone - the weakest spot for any zone defense
- Get a series of shell drills that teach players the complex 2-3 zone responsibilities step-by-step
This disc begins with a valuable discussion with Assistant Coach Gerry McNamara who was also part of Syracuse's National championship team.