- An excellent teaching progression using a hierarchy of drills for advanced offensive skills
- Youth demonstrators allow you to watch the common mistakes and areas of challenge for young players
- Dr. Tauer's experience as a successful college player, coach, youth camp director and psychology professor, make this one of the most insightful DVDs ever made
with Dr. John Tauer,
University of St. Thomas Head Men's Coach - 2016 NCAA D-III National Champions;
2016 UPS NABC Division III Coach of the Year;
2013 Basketball Times D-III National Coach of the Year; 4x MIAC Champions (2012-15); 2x NCAA D-III Champions (2016, 2011)
has the distinction of having played in, been an assistant coach, and been a head coach in the Division III Final Four.
This presentation builds on Dr. Tauer's Individual Skills DVD. His advanced skills instruction focuses on teaching young basketball players a sequence of offensive moves that will allow them to be successful at every level.
Dr. Tauer's drills include a focus on the quick decisions players must make when they catch the ball. It covers:
- proper footwork on jab steps
- shots fakes
- change-of-direction moves
- the importance of changing speeds
- individual defense
- how to create separation from defenders
- the importance of dribbling and shooting with either hand
- how to be more efficient with every move
In addition, Dr. Tauer provides simple ways to implement off the ball movements such as "pass, cut, fill" and "pass and screen away" concepts, along with simple and effective ways of teaching young players how to read the defense.
Unique features of this DVD include:
- A teaching progression through a hierarchy of drills for advanced offensive skills. This hierarchy of drills increases in complexity within and across each skill area to help you tailor drills based on individual and team needs.
- A blend of coaching and teaching points that incorporate Dr. Tauer's expertise in sport psychology.
- All demonstrations are performed by youth players, allowing you to watch the common mistakes and areas of challenge for young players.
Throughout the video, Tauer points out areas to watch for in coaching young players:
- to be more efficient with their moves
- to create more separation from the defense
- to finish effectively around the basket
Tauer also highlights positive ways to provide feedback and encouragement, explains how to make drills more competitive and challenging and shows how to incorporate multiple basic skills into each drill - thus building several skill sets at once.
This DVD is a great resource for coaches, parents, and young players!
96 minutes. 2010.Basketball Videos