- Simple, yet challenging, drills that stress fundamentals and improved skills
- Develop quick, sharp passing to maintain possession of the puck
- Learn to teach the little things that can mean the difference between a win or a loss
with Mark Carlson,
Cedar Rapids Roughriders (USHL) Head Coach;
2005 Clark Cup Champions;
2x U.S. Junior Select Team Head Coach ('08 and '09),
Back-to-Back World Junior A Challenge Champions ('08 and '09);
2008-09 United States Olympic Committee Development Coach of the Year
In this two-part instructional hockey DVD, Mark Carlson presents simple, yet essential drills that are at the heart of player development and team success.
Drills for Puck Possession
Learn eight drills to develop these critical puck possession skills:
- Quick, player to player puck movement
- Agility skating and passing in tight spaces
- No-handle passing while skating at full speed
- D-to-D rear diagonal passing
- Center support
- Transition skill development
- Indirect passing off the boards
Carlson concludes the segment with a full ice drill that combines these skills in a game-like, high speed setting.
Drills for Improving the Details
Carlson presents seven drills to teach and refine the finer points of the game:
- Stick-in-hand discipline to cut down on stick and hand penalties
- Shot blocking that keeps your players in a ready-to-play position
- Shooting the puck at the optimal height making it difficult to defend
- Stick skills for forwards
- Skills and strategies to screen the goalie
- Small, confined area competitive play to simulate game-like chaos
- Accountability, responsibility and detail
Carlson introduces each drill with a maker board diagram and follows with on-ice demonstration. On the ice, Carlson narrates the drill and offers valuable tips on how to best achieve the goals that each drill presents.
Carlson stresses the simplicity of each drill and how through repetition and reinforcement, each drill can be very beneficial to your player development and team success!
52 Minutes. 2010.Hockey Videos